Friday, August 21, 2015

Little Voice

I didn't sleep much last night.

I finally finished writing Sean's birth story yesterday afternoon, and was glad to see the comments and "likes" it got on Facebook. And then yesterday, before bedtime, I read about the seventh Planned Parenthood video.

So much horror. The kind that makes me sick to my stomach. I haven't been able to watch any of the videos– simply reading the descriptions is enough to put me in a gray fog. After Nate and I had both read about it, we went to our room and even though Sean was supposed to be calming down for the night in his co-sleeper I picked him up and we cuddled him close with tears in our eyes. And Nate prayed for the end of this evil in our country.

Little babies, torn apart. Little babies, ripped open while their hearts are still beating, in the name of Science. In the name of Choice. In the name of "You are Unwanted, so you do not Matter."

I don't feel like I have anything new to say. There have been so many voices speaking out against this horror, and saying everything better than I can. I have re-posted some of those voices on Facebook, and it's made me kind of depressed that, compared to the times when I post something about Sean when the status will garner 20 or more "likes", hardly anyone seems interested in the fate of thousands and millions of tiny babies.

And I get it. It's awful. It's the kind of thing that can't be spun in any good way. It's so much easier, more convenient, more comfortable, just to ignore it. To hope it goes away.

It was easier and more convenient and comfortable for the English citizens to ignore the horrors of the slave trade too. It was easier for German citizens to ignore the smell of Jewish bodies burning in the gas chambers drifting into their backyards. It was easier for white Americans to just look the other way when black Americans were terrorized and murdered for daring to ask for the equal rights.

It seems that I have a number of readers who care about the story of Livia and Lucy, who have followed along as I've written out the story of our joy and grief. And I read about these videos and the thought is there, inescapable– there is no difference between these babies dissected in a pan, and my tiny, precious, perfect daughters. You can't in the same voice tell me that our twin daughters are beautiful, perfect, precious– and then turn around and say that the fifty-seven million babies that have been killed since Roe vs. Wade have no value, no worth, no right to live.

Fifty-seven million babies killed.

Can our brains even comprehend carnage that vast?

And yes, with so many I affirm that it's not just about ending abortion, it's about making every baby wanted, it's about providing the ongoing resources for women in crisis pregnancies so that they feel safe and cared for and able to keep the baby. I affirm that we need to have nothing but compassion for the women suffering the emotional and physical aftermath of abortion. I affirm that there needs to be social and legal consequences to abandonment by the fathers of the babies. I affirm that the adoption process in this country needs radical reform so that all the couples longing to adopt aren't prohibited by the costs. I affirm that Christian businesses need to put their money where their mouths are and provide decent maternity leave so that working mothers have the postpartum rest and bonding with their babies that is so vital. I affirm that the church needs to step up in radical ministry to single mothers.  I affirm that our job doesn't end when someday, dear God please someday, abortion is ended.

I am just a little voice. Yet I am convinced that every voice counts, and convicted that small as mine is, I have no right to be silent. So I add my little voice to all the others, and I lament for the lives of fifty-seven million babies, and I plead for the lives of those to come.


Dear Reader,
I have never asked this before, but would you consider sharing this blog post in your preferred online venue? Or, if not mine, one of the excellent articles or posts that I list below. This is not about me trying to gain followers, nor is this about politics. I have no faith in politicians. I believe that the lives of our unborn will be safe only when the vast majority of the people of this country are convinced of the value and beauty of their lives. That doesn't happen through politics, but it does happen through stories, through pictures, through laments and poems and pleas. Before laws can be changed, hearts must be transformed. 
Though I have posted multiple pictures of Livia and Lucy,  I have hitherto kept this picture private. I post it now, in their honor and in honor of the fifty-seven million.


This is my Father's world
O let me never forget
That though the wrong seems often so strong
God is the ruler yet.

"You may choose to look away but you can never again say you did not know."
~ William Wilberforce


Other articles and posts


No comments:

Post a Comment